Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Quote from Hans Zimmer

For "This Land" - the whole Lion King soundtrack is really me dealing with my father's death, which up to that point I had never really done, because children suppress things, and I was rather surprised that, in a cartoon with fuzzy animals, I was suddenly confronted with my past. The other thing is, because I wrote it for my daughter, it connected the generations over time through music.
My favorite composition that I wrote...I find fault with all of it, nothing is ever finished, that's why I carry on writing, and part of what I like is influenced by the people I am working with. So some of my favorites have more to do with process than the actual end result. So a Zack Snyder or a Chris Nolan seem to bring out some pretty good things in me.
For Man of Steel you can expect hope. Hope and no cynicism. The opposite of The Dark Knight. Trying to celebrate hard-working, simple, blue-collar people in the Midwest who never get celebrated.
- Hans Zimmer, from his AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit.

Who knew that the music of Lion King was Hans dealing with his father's death? It adds a much deeper layer to appreciating the music.