Friday, May 3, 2013

WISE - Comfort Zone (Part 1)

A few weeks ago in class we listened to Brian Grazer, an Oscar-winning movie producer, talk about his comfort zone, and how he always forces himself out of it for personal growth. Frankly, it really is as simple as that. Actually pushing yourself out of your comfort zone might not be so simple, but the concept is: do it, and you'll grow.

Interestingly enough, I have a close friend who is of a very similar mindset, and he is clearly headed to great heights. He's already the top of his class in most subjects and is a great engineer (you can check out his WISE project here).

But how do those things relate to my composing, you ask?

When I first decided that composing for orchestra was in my best interest, it was mostly because I had never done so before. It was unfamiliar territory; I was hesitant. But I knew it was the right thing to do.

When I accepted my friends' request in scoring the robotics club's reveal trailer, it was my first time working under strict guidelines and a fast-approaching, hard deadline. I accepted without a moment of doubt. Mostly because I knew how much it would be working with my friends, but also because challenging myself to meet these new conditions would make me grow as a composer.

Brian Grazer and my aforementioned friend are very familiar with stepping out of their comfort zones. I can proudly say, so am I.