Sunday, April 21, 2013

WISE - Learning from the Best

There's no doubt you've heard this theme somewhere at some point in your life. I don't remember the very first time I heard it, but I do know that Zimmer's music from Pirates was one of my biggest early inspirations in starting to compose music.

Years later, I still come back to the piece because it's such a great research material. It's short and sweet, making it the perfect length for me to quickly analyze the structure of the piece. The two themes presented in the piece flow seamlessly together thanks to a masterful transition, and the upbeat tempo, along with the masterful orchestration, makes the piece sound epic all the way throughout.

Most importantly, this is the kind of feel that I'm hoping to emulate with my orchestral piece. I'm no Zimmer, but we'll see what I can do.