Wednesday, March 6, 2013

WISE - A Quick Glance Backwards

"The best laid schemes of mice and men go often awry" - To A Mouse, Robert Burns

As with any extended project, it's important to periodically assess the work I've done up to that point. So here I am, glancing back at my previously set long term plans and comparing to it what has actually been done.

Let's start with the positives: composing the music for our robotics club's robot reveal trailer was an absolute blast and a huge success. The trailer was well received by our team and the robotics community at large, and I even received a few personal emails indicating how impressed people were with my music. It would seem that a student-scored trailer is not a common sight to see.

I knew as I started writing the trailer music that I would gain hands-on composing experience, but what I didn't expect was the experience of working to a deadline and working under the creative constraints of other people. The robot trailer had a definite due date and I had to work closely with my two friends in charge of producing the video for the trailer, at many points showing them rough cuts and edits of my work in progress and taking their feedback very seriously. That's something that I've previously never had to do, since composing has always been an "only me" type of thing.

But as Robert Burns laid out so plain and clear, even the best-intentioned plans can go wrong.

Due to other work that occupied my time and being out of town, I did not get a chance to submit a version of the trailer music to TwtrSymphony. I must say I almost saw this coming, as this goal was an opportunity that I threw into my WISE project simply because it appeared in front of me. Clearly, some things just don't belong as a part of my project no matter how closely related it may seem.

What worries me more, however, is my late start on research. Of course, as I indicated previously, research is not something that I set a strict timeline for, and restrict myself to that timeframe. Research is something that happens on the fly, sometimes out of the blue. Lately, this hasn't been the case as I simply have not had the time to do my usual research.

This means a few things:
  1. I should throw myself back into the thick of things as soon as possible.
  2. I need to shorten my research time so that I still start composing on time with the schedule.
  3. I need to bump back my score studies so that I can spend more time with this current score.
Have no fear, my enthusiasm for the project still burns strong. I just need to get back into the midst of things, that's all.