Wednesday, February 13, 2013

WISE - Changing Gears

It hasn't even been a full week into the project and I already have a change to make. It might get a little confusing, so bear with me.

Two new opportunities have jumped out at me, and I plan to take advantage of them: the Code Red Robot Trailer, and the TwtrSymphony.

Our robotics club, Code Red, is nearing the end of its six-week build season, and that means our robot is close to being complete. As we do every year, we are planning to make a movie-style trailer for the revealing of our robot. This is a trailer that will be shown to robotics teams from all around the world, so we are putting quite a bit of work into it.

That's where I come in. While two of my friends in the club are working on the video, I have been recruited to compose the music for the trailer. I thought it would be fitting to make this a part of my WISE project, as it is a great way to start composing right away using the knowledge that I already have. This would also allow me to experiment with string instruments, which are instruments that I usually never compose for. After all, WISE is all about stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things.

Then, I'll take the music that I write for the robot trailer and submit it to TwtrSymphony's Call for Scores. In short, the organization TwtrSymphony is holding a composing competition for orchestral music. I've always wanted to submit a score to a composing competition as it's encouraged by so many great conductors out there that young composers do so. This Call for Scores is a perfect opportunity for me to try submitting my music to a competition, that I'll already have written for the robot trailer.

Thanks to these two opportunities, I'll be hitting the ground running instead of easing into the project with research. This is good not only because it allows me more hands-on experience, but also because it acts as a baseline assessment. I'll be able to compare the composition I write for the robot trailer/TwtrSymphony to the composition I write for the school orchestra and see the improvement.

So, if you followed all that, props. This is what will keep me occupied until the end of February. Deadlines are as follows:
  • Robot trailer: Feb. 22nd
  • TwtrSymphony: March 1st
Plans regarding my project from March and beyond will be solidified shortly. Wish me luck!