Friday, December 28, 2012

Les Miserables (2012)

When people ask me if Les Miserables is a musical, I tell them no. Instead, I call it an experience. It's an experience to be loved, to be lived, and to be sung. And sing I did, as I walked out of the theaters after watching the new movie by Tom Hooper (The King's Speech).

Top-notch ensemble cast, legendary producer, innovative director, unparalleled music. What more could you ask for? It was every bit worth the wait and more. The favorite tunes were all there, and they even added some new bits and pieces here and there. Including, if I might spoil it, a brand new piece written just for the movie (Suddenly).

I'm no film critic, so I won't do such a thing as to give a score or a rating. But the movie truly moved me. Although there were moments that I wish the singing was done better or differently, those moments paled in comparison to the grandeur of the experience as a whole.

Please, go see it this holiday season. Do yourself this favor: you won't regret it.