Friday, August 31, 2012

FRC Virtual Orchestra

About two weeks ago, I had an idea for a daring project of mine. Ever since I saw Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir, I had wanted to do a virtual ensemble of my own, and I thought of the perfect audience for a virtual orchestra: the fellow members of the FIRST Robotics Competition. At first you may think it strange for robot-building high schoolers to perform together in a virtual ensemble, but over the past three years I've been involved with the robotics program, the one thing that has absolutely delighted me is the variety in interests among the various team members. Every time I go to a robotics competition, I meet a surprising number of musicians.

With that in mind, I thought it would be very cool if I could create a virtual orchestra comprised of members of the FRC. A few friends on my own robotics team thought it was a great idea and decided to lend me their skills. While they helped me to create a video, I worked on setting up a website and getting the music together. Two weeks later, we are now ready to go.

I'm very excited to launch the project for submissions very soon. Check out the website if you're interested!