Monday, June 20, 2011

Clarinet Progress

It's coming along very well, I seem to have familiarized myself with most of the lowest register and middle register fingerings, and I am starting to play the high register notes. Squeaks are mostly gone, it seem practice certainly does make better.

I must say, I'm surprised as to how difficult the fingerings are. I expected a much more linear fingering system such as the flute or saxophone, where it's mostly lift a finger to move up a note, and press a key to change octaves. Not the case with the clarinet. It will certainly take me longer to become decent at the clarinet than it took to become decent at the tenor saxophone. However, I'm first and foremost a bassoon player (don't get me started on bassoon fingerings), so I have no doubt by the end of the summer, I'll be able to play some pep band material!