Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Bb Clarinet

I mentioned in my previous post that I'd be picking up a few new instruments over the summer. Sure enough, one of them is the Bb clarinet. Since I already play the alto and tenor saxophone, I thought the next logical step would be to learn the clarinet. My band director even told me that I would find the instrument quite easy. So I went ahead and borrowed an old clarinet from a friend, bought some reeds, and bam! Now I'm a clarinet virtuoso.

Just kidding. I've practiced the instrument for two days now, and I have to say, it's more difficult than I imagined. When I started learning the tenor saxophone I could play easy songs at fast tempos after about 3 hours of practice. With the clarinet, I've had a little more difficulty. All the squeaking and hang cramps aside, I can now play a two octave C scale. Since I've had no formal teaching or beginner method books, I've resorted to just diving into the instrument and learning from various internet resources. After all, what better way to learn other than experimenting? 

Although I do plan to talk to my band director about acquiring some easy music with which I can practice.