Thursday, May 26, 2011

Band Concert

On May 25th, our school's Concert Band had its last concert of the year. It was a bittersweet occasion marked by amazing musicianship and sadness for the leaving Seniors. All the months that we spent preparing for this concert suddenly seemed all worth the work.

The Concert Band played Casey at the Bat, a musical interpretation of the poem of the same name, by Ernest L. Thayer. It was an exciting piece that included a narration of the poem as we played the piece. Never had I played with a narrator before. The Band also played music from The Star Wars Trilogy, composed, of course, by the renowned John Williams and arranged for concert band by Donald Hunsberger. As the theme of the concert, if you haven't already guessed, was something along the lines of "the greatest stories ever told," we spent the evening with many Star Wars quotes, jokes, and even donning baseball caps during our performance of Casey at the Bat.

Many Chamber Ensembles also performed, including the Percussion Ensemble, Saxophone Quartet, and the Woodwind Quintet. I myself was a part of the Woodwind Quintet, and was able to perform the Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Greig, arranged for Woodwind Quintet by Joachim Linckelmann.

The evening turned out to be fantastic, as friends, teachers and other adults congratulated me and the band on our performance. It was clear that the audience had thoroughly enjoyed the concert. After all, when you end with a piece like Star Wars, how can people not love it?

I'd like to end with two things:

Seniors, I will miss you all very much. I have no doubt you'll all come back to visit us next year, your musicianship and skill will be greatly missed, not to mention your humor and enthusiasm!

And last but most definitely not least, I would like to give a tremendous thanks to our band director, who has taught me for two full years now. I must say that with each concert, something improves, and I have no doubt that will be the case with each and every concert in the future. But not without your unmatched dedication and support for our musical growth. You have influenced my life in ways unimaginable. So, although I feel that two words are not enough to convey my feelings toward you, I put all my Heart and Soul into them: Thank You.