Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Video Game Music

So I just finished Portal 2.
MUSIC SPOILER ALERT

And being the huge nerd that I am, it made me really happy! Not only was the game's story fantastic, but the credits song basically made my day.

For those of you who don't know, when the original Portal was released, it included a song in the credits that instantly became a huge hit in the internet community, to gamers and non-gamers alike:

It's needless to say that I fell in love with the catchy tune and could not wait for more music by the artist, Jonathan Coulton. I even arranged the song for my woodwind quintet.

Then came Portal 2, and...

I'm sure I'll discuss the topic further relating to the Halo franchise, but video game composing is something I consider very similar to film composing. Hence, I am very interested in it as a career.

Now I'm off to listen to "Want You Gone" over and over again until I can flawlessly sing its bass, harmony and vocal part, as I unfortunately did with "Still Alive."